Police Officer Lateral
The City of Chandler Police Department is currently accepting applications to fill current and future Police Officer Lateral vacancies.
Police Officer Lateral Pay Program
* Less than 1 year experience starts out at $32.24 per hour
* 1 year of experience starts out at $33.85 per hour
* 2 years of experience starts out at $35.56 per hour
* 3 years of experience starts out at $37.33 per hour
* 4 years of experience starts out at $39.19 per hour
* 5 years of experience starts out at $41.17 per hour
* 6 years of experience starts out at $43.22 per hour
* 7 or more years of experience starts out at $45.39 per hour
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Regardless of verified years of experience, lateral police officer hourly rates are capped at $45.39 per hour.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Under Senate Bill 1369, the State of Arizona now permits any law enforcement agency within the state the ability to seek reimbursement for the costs of training and certifying a peace officer within the state. The reimbursement may include the costs of training and certification, travel, housing, and salary during the training and certification period. The following reimbursement scheduled is applied:
- 1 - 12 months, 100% reimbursement
- 12 - 24 months, 75% reimbursement
- 24 - 36 months, 50% reimbursement
- 36 months or more, 0% reimbursement
*Lateral Officer Hiring Incentive: $5,000 paid in two installments, $2,500 paid upon hire with first paycheck and $2,500 paid upon successful completion of Probation. Plus up to $20,000 relocation assistance if you are coming from outside the Greater Phoenix Area (defined as Maricopa and Pinal County) and moving within 30 miles of the City of Chandler city limits. More details will follow once you are placed under a conditional offer.
*This is a continuous posting that will establish an eligible list for current and future vacancies. Applications will be pulled every week to submit an AZ POST Personal History form. Oral Boards will then be held once per month.
Why work for Chandler?
* Diverse and inclusive environment
* Up to 8 hours paid time off annually to volunteer in the community
* Dress code is business casual, with jeans on Fridays
* 3 medical plans to choose from along with dental and vision coverage
* Accrue 122 hours paid vacation in your first year, eligible for use immediately following accrual
* Accrue 96 hours paid sick leave in your first year, eligible for use immediately following accrual
* 12 paid holidays per year, plus Winter Break at the end of the year
* Become part of the Arizona State Retirement System with a 100% city contribution match
* City contributions of 1% gross wages per pay period to deferred compensation
* Robust Employee Wellness program with $350 incentive
* Professional development opportunities
* Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 annually, $3,200 for part time employees
* Free Tumbleweed Recreation Center membership
* Flexible schedule/remote work options (when available)
Who we are
The City of Chandler Police Department, consisting of 337 sworn officers and 177 civilians, serves a growing population of close to 270,000 residents. The members of the Chandler Police Department are dedicated to the advancement of community policing and the development of a partnership with our citizens. Our mission is to provide a safe community where people can live, work, and thrive. We are committed to being a world-class leader in law enforcement. We will pursue and engage the best trained, equipped, and committed professionals who demonstrate the highest standards of performance and best policing practices in partnership with the community.
Who we are looking for
Are you passionate about serving the community? Do you remain calm under high stress situations? Are you a problem solver that can make quick decisions? We are seeking a passionate and motivated customer-service oriented individual to join our Police Department team as a Police Officer Lateral.
* High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
* Arizona State Certified Applicant: Police Officers certified in Arizona, must have completed an AZPOST approved academy program and have successfully been certified by AZPOST as a peace officer and currently be in good standing; OR
Out-of-State Certified Applicant: Police officers certified in a state other than Arizona or certified by a federal law enforcement agency, must have 1 year of experience and currently employed as a peace officer or have resigned in good standing from an agency within 30 months of application. In addition, peace officers with certifications other than from Arizona will need to meet all AZPOST requirements for the waiver process to gain Arizona peace officer certification without attending a formal academy; and
* Must be 21 years of age; and
* Meet or exceed the physical standards established by the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZPOST); and
* Be a citizen of the United States of America; and
* Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record.
* NeoGov Application
* AZ POST Personal History Form Submission & Review
* Oral Board Interview
* Background Interview
* Polygraph Examination
* Psychological Testing
* Medical Examination
* Drug Screen
* Interview with Chief of Police
For additional information, please visit the Chandler Police Department Career website.
All applicants must attain a favorable score in each of the examination phases to qualify for the next phase. Human Resources reserves the right to change the process without notification if deemed necessary. This process will take a minimum of two months to complete. Job offers will only be made when positions become available. Any applicant not permanently disqualified may reapply at the next open recruitment. A register of qualified applicants will be kept for six (6) months should additional vacancies occur.
Applicants for employment and volunteer opportunities should be aware of the City of Chandler’s policies concerning the use of drugs and alcohol. These policies have not been altered by the passage of Proposition 207. The use of recreational marijuana is a violation of the city’s Drug Free Workplace Policy. Certain positions within the city are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test. A positive result for drugs tested under the policy, including recreational marijuana, may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or volunteer opportunity. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.CITY OF CHANDLER POLICE DEPARTMENT DISQUALIFIERS
The following will disqualify you from consideration as a City of Chandler Police Officer applicant:
* If you are not a United States Citizen.
* If you have not received your high school diploma or GED equivalent.
* If you will not be at least 21 years old at the time of academy graduation.
* If you have any felony conviction in Arizona, or violation in another state that would be considered a felony if committed in Arizona.
* If you have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
* If you have been previously denied certified peace officer status or had your certified peace officer status revoked or your current certified peace officer status is suspended.
* If you have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale marijuana or other dangerous drugs.
* If you have used (or "tried") any dangerous drug or illegal narcotic, other than marijuana, in any combination in the past seven (7) years, or exceeds a total of five (5) times in your lifetime or more than one (1) time since the age of 21.
* Conviction of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with such frequency so as to indicate a disrespect for traffic law and a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway within the past (3) three years. Acceptable frequency level to be determined by Police Chief or his designee.
*Applicants must meet prescribed vision, color vision, hearing, and other AZPOST medical standards.
FALSIFICATION, OMISSION, MISREPRESENTATION, OR DECEPTION IN ANY STAGE OF THIS PROCESS WILL RESULT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM CONSIDERATION.