Join our ranks A career you can be proud of.
When you join the Chandler Police Department, you’ll be working in a diverse city with a growing population. We offer competitive pay, comprehensive benefits, advanced technology, and a chance to make a meaningful impact in our community.
Getting started What qualifies as a lateral officer?
A lateral officer is an experienced certified Peace Officer in good standing.
A successful certified Arizona Peace Officer applicant will start the field training program upon being selected.
Individuals who have served honorably as a peace officer in Arizona and their certification as a peace officer has lapsed, or served in another state or a federal agency, may be eligible to be a certified Arizona law enforcement officer by successfully completing the waiver testing process. The waiver tests are administered in lieu of attending an Arizona peace officer basic course at an academy.
Out of State Lateral Waiver Process
The waiver test has two (2) components:
Proficiency testing must be completed after appointment and before the
The three (3) part proficiency test consisting of:
- Firearms qualification (day, night, target identification/discrimination)
- Tactical Driving Qualification
The Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test (POPAT) which contains five
- 500-yard run: run 500 yards as fast as possible
- Chain link fence climb: scale a 6-foot chain link fence followed by a 25-yard sprint
- Solid wall climb: scale a 6-foot solid wood fence followed by a 25-yard sprint
- 99-yard obstacle course: this is a series of turns over 99 yards that include two curbs and a sawhorse to go over which will be interspersed during the course. It stimulates a foot pursuit through a parking lot
- 165 pound "dummy" drag: must drag a 165-pound dummy backwards for 32 feet
The written component consists of a comprehensive test.
- The written component covers functional areas 1 through 8 in the learning curriculum.
- The comprehensive final exam (CFE) is divided into three testing blocks. Each block must be passed with a minimum score of 70%.
For further information about the waiver process, please click on the links below.AZ Peace Officer Standards & Training Board Waiver AZPOST Waiver Process Manual
Competitive pay Police Officer Lateral Pay Program.
|Less than 1 year of experience
|1 year of experience
|2 years of experience
|3 years of experience
|4 years of experience
|5 years of experience
|6 years of experience
|7 or more years of experience
Lateral Officers Lateral Applicants.
Arizona State Certified Applicant
Police Officers certified in Arizona, must have completed an AZPOST approved academy program and have successfully been certified by AZPOST as a peace officer and currently be in good standing;
Out-of-State Certified Applicant
Police officers certified in a state other than Arizona or certified by a federal law enforcement agency, must have 1 year of experience and currently employed as a peace officer or have resigned in good standing from an agency within 30 months of application. In addition, peace officers with certifications other than from Arizona will need to meet all AZPOST requirements for the waiver process to gain Arizona peace officer certification without attending a formal academy
what it takes Our Application Process:
We are now accepting lateral applications on a continuous basis. Click on Police Officer Lateral Application to submit an application today.Police Officer Lateral Application
AZPOST Personal History Form
Once you have submitted a City of Chandler application, please follow the below directions.
- Go to this link MyAzpost.pdf
- Follow the directions to register and complete your electronic AZPOST PH Form
- Share the Form with Chandler PD
- Email your form ID number to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once received a background investigator will reach out if there are any follow up questions. If there are no automatic disqualifiers, you will receive an email inviting you to an oral board interview.
Oral board interview
Applicants will need to pass an oral board interview which consists of several questions in front of a panel of sworn officers.
Out of state applicants will do a virtual oral board interview.
If you pass the oral board interview, you will receive an email with a link to create an account with eSOPH and complete the background questionnaire.
Your eSOPH background questionnaire will be reviewed and a background investigation will begin.
The background investigation consists of criminal history checks, employer checks, personal references and open-source searches verifying all information included in the background questionnaire.
Once your background investigation has been mostly completed, we will conduct an in-person background interview.
The background interview consists of applicants being interviewed about the information within their eSOPH background questionnaire.
Applicants are administered a polygraph exam by a certified examiner to confirm all information in the background investigation is accurate.
Out of state lateral applicants will be required to complete an AZPOST firearms qualification. This will be an assessment of basic skills and firearms safety will be evaluated.Learn More About Firearm Qualifications
Conditional Job Offer
If the applicant passes each of the previous steps they will be offered a conditional offer which is contingent upon the applicant passing the medical exam, psychological exam, and a chief’s interview
Medical & Psych Exam
Applicants must pass a medical exam and a psychological exam that meets AZPOST standards.
The applicant will have a one-on-one interview with the police Chief.